Way back in March 2010, we published the very first issue of our magazine. Back then, it was called “Gift Entrepreneurs.” We thought that was a great name for who we are and were amazed when Entrepreneur Magazine felt threatened by us. Deciding that we didn’t have the power in our slingshot as David did, we gave in to Goliath and changed the name.
But we ended the last page of that very first issue with this tidbit that we need to remind ourselves of regularly:
1. HOW YOU THINK IS EVERYTHING. Always be positive. Think success not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
2. DECIDE ON YOUR TRUE DREAMS AND GOALS. Write down your goals and develop a plan to reach them.
3. TAKE ACTION. Goals are nothing without action. Don‘t be afraid to start. Just do it.
4. NEVER STOP LEARNING. Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
5. BE PERSISTENT AND WORK HARD. Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
6. LEARN TO ANALYZE DETAILS. Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
7. FOCUS YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Don‘t let other people or things distract you.
8. DON‘T BE AFRAID TO INNOVATE; BE DIFFERENT. Following the herd is the direct way to mediocrity.
9. DEAL AND COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE EFFECTIVELY. No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
10. BE HONEST AND DEPENDABLE; TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Otherwise, Numbers 1-9 won‘t matter.
Tell us what you think in the comments. Can you think of other traits for success that you’ve observed in others?